Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Portland Update

Hey folks,

Its A'misa~

It's been quite a while since I've done anything with Eyeball Burp.  Frankly, Alex and I were busy moving and working.  And I didn't have the energy or the enthusiasm to get things put on their feet.  Mostly I've been scared.  

I've come to the conclusion that constantly comparing myself to others isn't doing any good in the world.  And I still want to be apart of "the change."  It's just no one knows what that means or how to achieve it.  We all just our small part and cross our fingers that its the right thing to be doing.  Using our talents, per say.  

I have a lot of learn about publishing, about zine making, about art making, about understanding people and relationship, about community building, about being... about being a Librarian, about book culture, about authors and audiences, about learning to teach and promote learning... about bringing about effect in the world.  

When Eyeball Burp started out, I had no idea what was going on.  And then I grew tired.  I took out my frusteration on personal relationships; I was sensitive to criticism.  Things were hard.  I was hurt.  I needed to understand my own boundaries, and realized that I like to garden, make my own pickles, and jog.  Every week I check out a new stack of materials out from the public library.  I devour books of fiction and weirdo movies.  I try to run 3 miles a day.  I write at least one paragraph of writing.  I study, a lot now.  I'm a bit hermitted, but I need to be right now.  I need to learn discipline.  I need to be a samurai student, writer, art, wife, person.  

When Alex and I decided to relocate to Portland, with us came Eyeball Burp.  Things have been in flux for the last year.  We had to get jobs and make money, first and for most, so we worked a 99 cent store, a department store, a restaurant, a community center and a coffeeshop.  Most of those are Alex, and I settled in as a server at the local Korean-owned Japanese Sushi restaurant on one of the busiest Portland tourist destinations.  Waitressing is much different than my comfy-old-shoe job as a barista.  Very different.  

But I love interacting with the community, that's why I'm drawn to service.  I enjoy serving people dinner.  It makes me feel as if I can helping them survive.  

Maybe Eyeball Burp Press can be a service to people.  Something that helps.  Something that stuns, that intrigues, that ... I dunno.... stir things up.  

Hope you keep reading~
More at you


Reaching in peace...
a'misa chiu

Collage by A'misa Chiu, 2012